Break-ups. Although they can be for the best, it doesn’t always feel that way at the start. Last year, I went through a pretty messy one. If it wasn’t for this collection of songs, – I’m not sure I would have been able to weather the storm that it was. For anyone going through one right now – this post is dedicated to you! #staystrong #youvegotthis
Stage One – Denial.
At this stage, you’re still processing everything, looking back with rose tinted glasses and still believe there’s a chance you’ll get back together.
- They Can’t Take That Away From Me – An American in Paris
- No-One Else – Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812
Stage Two – Psychotic.
Your experience of this stage really depends on how much the relationship meant to you and how things ended. In my case, I went fairly nuts. I would passionately sing all these songs into the mirror with tears streaming down my face. Especially Dot’s line from the Sunday in the Park song “We do not belong together and we’ll never belong. What made it so right together, is what made it all wrooonnnggg”. 😭
- I Dreamed a Dream – Les Miserables
- We Do Not Belong Together – Sunday in the Park with George
- Positive – Legally Blonde
Stage Three – Misery.
This stage may last a while and you may find yourself floating between stages 1-3. You may also spend a lot of time lamenting to anyone that’d listen. ‘Epiphany’ from Sweeney Todd is really good for letting out all your rage (but please don’t go on a murder spree!). Above all, I think ‘Who Will Love Me As I Am’ captures the mood of this stage soo perfectly.
- Burn – Hamilton (or the #hamildrop tune First Burn )
- But Not For Me – An American in Paris
- Who Will Love Me As I Am – Side Show
- Midnight Radio – Hedwig and the Angry Inch
- Epiphany – Sweeney Todd
- Goodbye Until Tomorrow / I Could Never Rescue You – The Last Five Years
- Leave – Once
Stage Four – The “Oh Screw This” Moment.
Finally, it’s enough with the rom-coms and ice-cream tubs. You start to feel empowered to get your life and things back on track. I have listened to Louder Than Words from Jonathon Larson’s Tick, Tick … BOOM so many times and the same line always gives me chills “Why do we stay with lovers who we know down deep, just aren’t right?” why though??
- Louder Than Words – Tick, Tick … BOOM
- I’m Here – The Color Purple
- No More Wasted Time – If/Then
- Chip On my Shoulder – Legally Blonde
- So Much Better – Legally Blonde
Stage Five – Moving on / Self Love
Now you’re ready to embrace single life again and celebrate the wonderful and fabulous person that you are! At this stage, you start to realise the relationship might have been right at the time, but not for the long haul!
- For Now – Avenue Q
- This is Me – Greatest Showman
- Some People – Gypsy
- Light – Next to Normal
- The Great Comet of 1812 – Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812